Roast Beef, in a Casserole on the stovetop!!
1 1/2 kgshoulder beef (ask the butcher to roll in a net)
1/4 colive oil
1 largecarrot, whole
1 largeonion (peeled, leave whole)
1 cwhite wine
3-4garlic cloves ,quartered lengthwize
·hot water to top it up now and again!!
How to Make Roast Beef, in a Casserole on the stovetop!!
- Make sure the butcher puts the piece of beef into a net, makes for much easier slicing and holds the shape.Using a sharp pointed knife make holes in the beef (top and bottom) and put a sliver of garlic in the hole, pushing it in well.
- Mixed herbs-Goodalls. (oregano,marjoram,parsley,thyme)
Rub the mixed herbs all over the roast, I said 1/4 cup but can use more or less, it falls off when you turn the meat so I put plenty.
- Heat the olive oil in a casserole, don't use a really big one, one that just fits the roast. When the oil is very hot brown the roast on all sides. Pour the white wine over the roast, add the whole onion and the whole carrot, cover and simmer for at least two hours. Turn the roast now and again, checking on the liquid, you only need about two fingers of liquid.
- When the meat is cooked, remove it, cover with alluminium foil and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then remove the net and start slicing!!
- Meanwhile, using a potato masher, mash the carrot and onion in the casserole and you have gravy!! If it tastes too strong just add some hot water and thicken with corn flour.
- I serve this with a tray of potatoes, roasted in the oven. Make two cups of chicken stock (Knorr cubes) add 1/2 cup olive oil, juice of a large lemon, a good pinch of oregano, mix well. I parboil the potatoes (peeled and quartered), layer them in a deep tray and pour the stock mix over them. Roast them at 180 degrees for an hour and then lower the oven. Turn them so that they get a nice color.