★★★★★ 1 vote5
4-5 lbbeef brisket
1 pkg(2 ounce) onion soup mix
4-5potatoes, cut up (optional)
How to Make Pot Roast of Beef
- Mix first 4 ingredients and pat into the surface of brisket.
- Melt butter in Dutch Oven and put in the meat and brown it thoroughly on all sides.
- When the meat is a dark rich brown, put a rack under it, so that it will not stick. Discard fat.
- Add 1/2 cup water or tomato juice and the pkge. of onion soup.
- Put on the cover, lower the heat and cook very slowly until the meat is fork tender, about 3-4 hours.
- Add a little liquid from time to time as it cooks away, but never have the liquid more than one inch deep.
- One hour before pot roast is done, add potatoes.