World Food Championship 2014 - Recipe Category Structure Build " South of the Border". This recipe earned me 7th place in Top Ten Category. Flour Tortilla's filled with a sweet/savory meat filling which is very popular in Mexico and serve in many different recipes. I chose to top my Picadillo with a Chili Cheese Sauce to keep in the recipe theme for this category which was "Cheese".
• Double Boiler or non-stick saucepan for cheese sauce
• Wood Spoon
• Cheese Grater
• Large skillet for Picadillo
Preheat oven @ 400 degrees
Place Flour tortillas in molds and place on a baking sheet, bake for 10 minutes or until they are light golden brown. Then remove from oven a let cool in molds
3Chili Cheese Sauce
To make the sauce you will need a double boiler.
1. In skillet over medium heat add olive oil, and then add onions and garlic. Sauté until nice and tender.
2. Place double boiler half full with water over medium heat. Add heavy cream and Creama Mexicana combine well and bring to a simmer. Then add onions and garlic and blend well.
3. Add Asiago Cheese, Sharp Cheddar and Muenster to the cream mixture, using a whisk to blend the cheese well. Continue to whisk the sauce until it becomes rich and creamy. Then add red and green chilies, and let the sauce simmer for about 2 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to low to keep the cheese sauce warm while preparing Picadillo.
1. In large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, then add garlic and onions, sauté until slightly softened, then add ground beef and cook until it has browned.
2. Then add red peppers, sherry, tomato paste and spices (cumin, cinnamon ground cloves and black pepper)
3. Let simmer for about 2 -3 minutes then add raisins, lower the heat and let simmer for about 5 more minutes. Meat should be cooked through and the mixture moist, but not wet.
5Let’s put this South of the Border dish together.
• Place tortilla bowls on a serving plate and fill them with Picadillo mixture.
• Then spoon some of chili cheese sauce on top, and then add fresh cilantro, follow by Mexican 4 cheese blend and thin slices of red and green chilies.
• Serve with tortilla chips as dippers. Enjoy