NY Deli Style Pastrami
How to Make NY Deli Style Pastrami
- Remove the corned beef from the package and rinse well. Set in a large bowl of water to soak in fridge for at LEAST 6 hours changing water a few times. This removes some of the salt and is important.
- Drain and dry well.
- Crush your spices in a mortar and pestal or spice grinder. Keep it coarse.
- Cover the meat on all sides with the mix.
- At this point you can go directly to the smoker or wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Wen you are ready to smoke, set your smoker at 225.
- Insert meat thermometer into the meat and place directly on the rack, fat side up.
- Add your wood chips or pellets, light wood like apple is good. Hickory is too heavy. Change: I did one today and mixed some hickory with the apple, we liked it. Of course, it's a little heavier smoke taste. Fill you water holder.
- Smoke until the internal temperature is 150. Probably 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove from the smoker to a broiler pan or any pan with a rack. Put water in the bottom of the pan and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake/steam in the oven at 250 until tender. Can take from 3 to 5 hours depending on size.
- Can be served hot. To slice thin, chill overnight and slice on an electric slicer.