NY Deli Style Pastrami
How to Make NY Deli Style Pastrami
- 1Remove the corned beef from the package and rinse well. Set in a large bowl of water to soak in fridge for at LEAST 6 hours changing water a few times. This removes some of the salt and is important.
- 2Drain and dry well.
- 3Crush your spices in a mortar and pestal or spice grinder. Keep it coarse.
- 4Cover the meat on all sides with the mix.
- 5At this point you can go directly to the smoker or wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- 6Wen you are ready to smoke, set your smoker at 225.
- 7Insert meat thermometer into the meat and place directly on the rack, fat side up.
- 8Add your wood chips or pellets, light wood like apple is good. Hickory is too heavy. Change: I did one today and mixed some hickory with the apple, we liked it. Of course, it's a little heavier smoke taste. Fill you water holder.
- 9Smoke until the internal temperature is 150. Probably 2 to 3 hours.
- 10Remove from the smoker to a broiler pan or any pan with a rack. Put water in the bottom of the pan and cover tightly with foil.
- 11Bake/steam in the oven at 250 until tender. Can take from 3 to 5 hours depending on size.
- 12Can be served hot. To slice thin, chill overnight and slice on an electric slicer.