Mom's 2-way Beef Shipwreck
4-6red potatoes, sliced (peel if desired)
1 lbground beef
1small onion, chopped
1 can(s)15 oz. red beans, undrained
1 can(s)15 oz. tomato sauce
How to Make Mom's 2-way Beef Shipwreck
- Place sliced potates in bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 casserole dish.
- Spread chopped onions over potatoes.
- Crumble ground beef over onions and potatoes; sprinkle with salt and pepper. (An easiness hint: I actually don't even measure the salt and pepper, but I have a salt shaker that has a mix of 2/3 salt to 1/3 pepper and I just shake it over the whole top)
- Pour beans on top of beef. (Do NOT drain the beans, this is one of the things that keeps the casserole from being too dry)
- Pour tomato sauce on top of all.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour at 350.
- Note: I usually stir the mixture when it comes out, just to make sure the potatoes are tender.
- Extra Note (see below for another variation)
I call them "Red Shipwreck" or "Green Shipwreck" depending on the beans used :) Here is the other...
One 15 oz can of green beans (I think I drained them) in place of red beans.
One 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup, thinned with a little milk in place of the tomato soup.