Mom's 2-way Beef Shipwreck
This is a "2-in-one" recipe... A while back I found a "Shipwreck" recipe on a website and tried it. It was way too dry and we didn't like it much. I played around with it until I found the one we like best. I then had an idea for another variation, tried it out, and we liked it too (hence the "2-way" part of the title) Give them both a try!
How to Make Mom's 2-way Beef Shipwreck
- 1Place sliced potates in bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 casserole dish.
- 2Spread chopped onions over potatoes.
- 3Crumble ground beef over onions and potatoes; sprinkle with salt and pepper. (An easiness hint: I actually don't even measure the salt and pepper, but I have a salt shaker that has a mix of 2/3 salt to 1/3 pepper and I just shake it over the whole top)
- 4Pour beans on top of beef. (Do NOT drain the beans, this is one of the things that keeps the casserole from being too dry)
- 5Pour tomato sauce on top of all.
- 6Cover and bake for 1 hour at 350.
- 7Note: I usually stir the mixture when it comes out, just to make sure the potatoes are tender.
- 8Extra Note (see below for another variation)
I call them "Red Shipwreck" or "Green Shipwreck" depending on the beans used :) Here is the other...
One 15 oz can of green beans (I think I drained them) in place of red beans.
One 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup, thinned with a little milk in place of the tomato soup.
About Mom's 2-way Beef Shipwreck
Show 2 Comments & Reviews