Mexico Night Meat Mix
5 lbbeef roast, pork shoulder or combo beef and pork
5 Tbspvegetable shortening or bacon grease
4 ozcan chopped green chilies (can use jalapenos if you love it spicy)
14 ozgreen chili salsa
1/4 tspgarlic powder
1 tspground cumin
·reserved juices from roast with fat removed
How to Make Mexico Night Meat Mix
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place roast (or roasts) in large roasting pan or dutch oven. Do not add salt or water. Cover with tight lid and roast for 12 hours or until roast will fall apart. you can cook roasts in a pressure cooker with 1 cup water for 35-40 minutes if you can't let it cook all day or overnight.
- Remove meat from pan and reserve juices (removing fat). Let cool until easily handled. Remove any bones and fat. Shred meat and set aside.
- Melt shortening in large skillet. Add onions and chilies. Saute 1 minute to soften slightly. Add green chili salsa, garlic powder, flour, salt and cumin. Cook 1-5 minutes until thickened. Add enough reserved juices to make a gravy. Add in shredded meat and cook 5 minutes until thickened.
- Put about 3 cups mix into 1 quart freezer bags and leave about 1/2 inch space at top. Use within 6 months. Makes about 9 cups.
- Great for tacos, burritos, nachos and enchiladas.