Merlot Beef Stew
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil
- 1 c
- white flour
- 2 Tbsp
- black pepper
- 3 lb
- beef roast, sirloin or arm roast
- 1/4 lb
- applewood smoked bacon, chopped
- 4 large
- large carrots, cut 1 inch long and quartered
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 1 lb
- baby red potatoes, washed and cut in half if larger than golf ball size
- 8 oz
- chanterelle or cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 c
- merlot wine
- 1/2 c
- worcestershire sauce
- 3 oz
- tomato paste
- 1 tsp
- better than bouillon beef base
- 1 c
- 2 c
- low sodium beef broth
- 2 Tbsp
- french dry rub
- bay leaves
- water as needed
How to Make Merlot Beef Stew
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2Prepare vegetables keeping onions aside.
- 3In a medium bowl combing flour and pepper, set aside.
- 4Combine beef base with water, whisk well, set aside.
- 5Chop bacon, set aside.
- 6Cut beef into 1 and 1/2 inch pieces. Add to flour mixture tossing well to coat every piece.
- 7In a large dutch oven heat oil over medium high heat.
- 8Brown seasoned beef in two batches, removing to a medium bowl, set aside.
- 9Add bacon to hot dutch oven, stirring often until the fat just begins to brown.
- 10Remove bacon when golden to beef bowl.
- 11Reduce heat to medium, add chopped onions.
- 12Stir often until onion turns light brown.
- 13Add tomato paste, whisking constantly for 1 minute.
- 14Add merlot, whisking constantly for 1 minute.
- 15Add the beef base, worstershire sauce, beef broth and dry French rub, whisk well.
- 16Add the prepared vegetables. Stir well to coat.
- 17Add contents of beef bowl, including any juices and stir well to coat.
- 18Add bay leaves, pushing them down with a spoon to submerge.
- 19Cover with lid and place pot in the oven.
- 20Check the stew at 3 hours, giving it a very good stir, bottom to top.
- 21Add water if needed.
- 22Repeat at 4 hours with the stirring and water if needed.
- 23Remove at 5 hours, search out bay leaves and toss them out.
- 24Serve with a torn loaf of hot, crusty bread and a salad. And Merlot of course ;-)