Merlot Beef Stew
1/4 cvegetable oil
1 cwhite flour
2 Tbspblack pepper
3 lbbeef roast, sirloin or arm roast
1/4 lbapplewood smoked bacon, chopped
4 largelarge carrots, cut 1 inch long and quartered
1 largeonion, chopped
1 lbbaby red potatoes, washed and cut in half if larger than golf ball size
8 ozchanterelle or cremini mushrooms, quartered
2 cmerlot wine
1/2 cworcestershire sauce
3 oztomato paste
1 tspbetter than bouillon beef base
2 clow sodium beef broth
2 Tbspfrench dry rub
·water as needed
How to Make Merlot Beef Stew
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Prepare vegetables keeping onions aside.
- In a medium bowl combing flour and pepper, set aside.
- Combine beef base with water, whisk well, set aside.
- Chop bacon, set aside.
- Cut beef into 1 and 1/2 inch pieces. Add to flour mixture tossing well to coat every piece.
- In a large dutch oven heat oil over medium high heat.
- Brown seasoned beef in two batches, removing to a medium bowl, set aside.
- Add bacon to hot dutch oven, stirring often until the fat just begins to brown.
- Remove bacon when golden to beef bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium, add chopped onions.
- Stir often until onion turns light brown.
- Add tomato paste, whisking constantly for 1 minute.
- Add merlot, whisking constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the beef base, worstershire sauce, beef broth and dry French rub, whisk well.
- Add the prepared vegetables. Stir well to coat.
- Add contents of beef bowl, including any juices and stir well to coat.
- Add bay leaves, pushing them down with a spoon to submerge.
- Cover with lid and place pot in the oven.
- Check the stew at 3 hours, giving it a very good stir, bottom to top.
- Add water if needed.
- Repeat at 4 hours with the stirring and water if needed.
- Remove at 5 hours, search out bay leaves and toss them out.
- Serve with a torn loaf of hot, crusty bread and a salad. And Merlot of course ;-)