Layered Mexican Tortilla Pie
Found this recipe and adapted it to be used in a crock-pot.
- 1 Tbsp
- canola oil
- 1/2 c
- onion, chopped
- 1 lb
- ground beef
- 1/2 tsp
- chili powder
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cumin
- 2 can(s)
- (11-oz) yellow corn with red and green bell peppers, drained
- heavy duty aluminum foil
- 1 can(s)
- (16-oz) refried beans
- (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 2/3 c
- 2 3/4 c
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- toppings: sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, shredded monterey jack cheese, fresh salsa, guacamole
How to Make Layered Mexican Tortilla Pie
- 1Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in beef and next 3 ingredients. Cook until beef is no longer pink.
- 2Fold 2 (17x12") sheets of aluminum foil into 2 (17x2) strips. Arrange strips in an "X" pattern in a lightly greased 4 quart round slow cooker, allowing foil to extend 1 inch beyond edges of slow cooker.
- 3Spread about 1/3 cup refried beans on 1 side of each of 5 tortillas. Place 1 tortilla, bean side up, atop foil "X" in slow cooker. Spoon 1 cup burger mixture over beans; top with 1/3 cup salsa and 1/2 cup cheese Repeat layers 4 times. Top with remaining tortilla, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Cover and cook on LOW 3 hours or until cheese melts and edges are bubbly.
- 4Remove insert from slow cooker; let stand, uncovered, 15 minutes. Grasping ends of foil strips, carefully transfer pie to a serving plate. Carefully remove foil strips. Cut pie into wedges, and serve with desired toppings. A nice guacamole and tomato salad with some yellow rice goes well with this.