☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 Tbspvegetable oil
4 lbbeef chuck roast
1 tspcoarse ground black pepper
32 ozbeef broth
14 ozcan diced tomatoes, san manzano
16 ozjar sliced pepperoncinis with juice
4 ozjar diced pimentos
1/2 lbsmoked provolone cheese, sliced
1 cshredded parmesan cheese
1 largeloaf italian bread
1/4 colive oil, extra virgin
4 largecloves garlic, minced and mashed
How to Make Italian Drip Beef Sandwich
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Season roast with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven heat vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- When hot sear roast on both sides, around 3 minutes per side.
- Remove roast to a platter, set aside.
- Add the beef broth, tomatoes with juice, pepperoncini with juice, and pimentos with oil/juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and stir with a wooden spoon. Make sure any brown bits on the bottom of the pot are released.
- Turn off heat, add the roast, cover with some of the peppers, cover with a lid, place in oven-center rack.
- Roast for 4 and 1/2 hours to 5 hours. You want this "fork tender" and easy to shred.
- When done shred beef-keep it in the pot with all that lovely juice.
- Mince and mash garlic, add to olive oil.
- Cut Italian loaf of the horizontal, place on a cookie sheet.
- Evenly spread olive oil/garlic blend on each side.
- Evenly sprinkle parmesan cheese on each side.
- Place under broiler, turn on and watch carefully. You want your cheese "just" toasted.
- When done remove bread.
- Using a slotted spoon remove meat mixture and layer onto bottom side ofhot bread, however much you want.
- Cover hot meat with sliced smoked provolone.
- Top with the other half of the bread and slice into equal portions.
- If you wish, strain some "au jus" into small bowls for dipping-I do.
- Stand back and mind the snapping teeth.