Holly's Skillet Seared Rib-eyes
Holly Grier- Wallace
How to Make Holly's Skillet Seared Rib-eyes
- Let your ribeyes sit our for about 15 minutes prior to cooking them, just to room temperature. Pat them dry and do not salt or season them before adding them to the skillet. This is important for pan searing! Your salt will draw moisture from the steaks and you'll end up broiling them vs. searing them in the skillet.
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Using a cast iron skillet or an oven proof skillet, place it in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on the oven, don't walk away and leave the pan preheating.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven and place on medium high heat on the stove top.
- Add your steaks and sear them for 5-7 minutes on each side. You want to remove them from the heat just under your desired cooking preference, as they will continue "carry over" cooking for 15-20 minutes after removing them from the skillet. The tricky part is timing your serving so that you don't end up with over cooked steaks.
- Season with sea salt and course ground black pepper to taste. Good steaks don't need steak sauce ;-)
- If you are using a meat thermometer, the general rule for steaks is:
Rare - 120 degrees F.
Medium Rare - 125 degrees F.
Medium - 130 degrees F.
This meal is delicious paired with a fresh spinach salad, baked Parmesan potatoes and my Whiskey Apple & Ginger Asian skewered shrimp with veggies!