☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
FOR THE PASTRY
3 call-purpose flour
1 clard or shortening
1/2 ccold water
FOR THE FILLING
1 1/2 lbboneless beef sirloin, cubed
2 mediumonions, sliced
4 mediumpotatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tspdried parsley
·salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cwater, or as needed
How to Make English Pasties
- For the Pastry:
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Stir in cold water with a fork until the mixture is able to come together in a ball.
- Knead a couple of times then divide pastry into 8 pieces refrigerate until firm. Pastry may be refrigerated for later use at this time.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a baking sheet.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each half of the pastry into a 6-inch circle.
- Place some of the potato slices in a line down the center of each circle, leaving at least 1 inch at each end uncovered.
- Arrange onion slices over the potatoes, and season with salt, pepper and some of the dried parsley
- Place some of the beef cubes over each onion layer, then season again with salt, pepper and dried parsley.
- Fold the edges over the pastry over the filling, and tuck in the ends.
- Transfer the pastries to a greased baking sheet, and cut a few slits in the top of each one for ventilation.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove from the oven, and reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Spoon 1/4 teaspoon of water into each slit on the tops of the pasties. Return to the oven, and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve.