Diabetic Temple Emanu-El Brisket
Serving Size 3 oz. portion
Carbohydrates 25 g
Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Protein 30 g
Cholesterol 89 mg
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Potassium 320 mg
Sodium 289 mg
Yield 10 servings
Exchanges 1 1/2 carbohydrates (other)
4 lean meat
Zinc 49% daily value
Iron 16% dv
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1, 5 lb
- untrimmed, flat-cut beef brisket
- 2 tsp
- granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp
- sea salt
- 1 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp
- hungarian paprika
- 4 large
- onions, peeled & cut into eighths
- 2, 14 oz
- cans, jellied cranberry sauce
How to Make Diabetic Temple Emanu-El Brisket
- 1Sprinkle both sides of brisket with garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika.
- 2Tightly wrap the brisket with plastic wrap.
- 3Refrigerate for 1 day.
- 4Preheat oven to 500°F.
- 5Unwrap the brisket and put it in a in a roasting pan.
- 6Roast for 20 minutes
- 7Turn it over
- 8Roast another 20 minutes
- 9Take the pan out of the oven
- 10Reduce the oven temperature to 350°
- 11Put the onions under and around the brisket,
- 12Cover the top of the brisket with cranberry sauce slices. Be careful 'cause the pan will be hotter than ...
- 13Tightly cover the pan with heavy-duty foil.
- 14Roast until fork-tender, about 4 hours more.
- 15Take the brisket out of the oven
- 16Let the brisket cool in the pan.
- 17Scrape off the sauce (leave it in the pan)
- 18Move the brisket to a cutting board
- 19Trim the fat.
- 20Put the brisket back into the pan
- 21Cover it with the sauce
- 22Cover the roasting pan with the foil again
- 23Let it cool to room temperature
- 24Then refrigerate overnight or up to 1 day.
- 25About 1 hour before you want to serve the brisket, preheat oven to 350°.
- 26Take the foil off of the pan
- 27Skim any congealed fat from the sauce
- 28Cover the pan with the foil again
- 29Heat the brisket for 20 minutes
- 30Then uncover and cook until hot and bubbling and the sauce has reduced a bit, 20 to 30 minutes more.
- 31Slice the brisket and serve with the sauce.