Chilaquiles Skillet Meal
I put this together on the fly from bits and pieces I had on hand. It turned out to be a big family favorite! We all love anything Mexican and chilaquiles(fried tortilla strips tossed in sauce) are a favorite. This makes a filling, easy meal combining many of our favorite ingredients and flavors.
- 2 lb
- ground beef
- med. onion(or some dried onion flakes)
- 1small can(s)
- enchilada sauce, divided(green salsa is also good. i often make a homemade sauce of dried ancho chiles that works great)
- 1/2-1 c
- 1 pkg
- taco seasoning
- 1 c
- instant rice(brown or white)
- 1 c
- corn tortillas
- 1/2-1 c
- shredded cheese
- oil for frying tortillas
How to Make Chilaquiles Skillet Meal
- 1In a large skillet, brown the beef and onions. Drain excess grease.
- 2Add 1/2c of the enchilada sauce, salsa, taco seasoning, rice and water. Stir well.
- 3Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 min.
- 4While meat mixture is simmering, heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil in another skillet. Cut the tortillas in half, then into thin strips(1/4-1/2 inch). Fry in hot oil until crispy and starting to get golden. Remove to paper towels to drain, then lightly salt. Transfer to a bowl.
- 5Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortilla strips and toss to coat.
- 6Remove the lid from the meat mixture, stir well and turn to low. Scatter the tortilla strips over the top, sprinkle with the cheese. Replace the lid and heat just until the cheese is melty.
About Chilaquiles Skillet Meal
Show 7 Comments & Reviews