chicken Fried Steak
2 1/4 tspsalt divided
1 3/4 tsppepper divided
6 oz4 oz cubed steaks
1 tube(s)saltine crackers (1 sleeve)
1 1/4 call purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspground red pepper
4 3/4 cmilk
3 1/2 call vegetable oil or peanut oil your choice
How to Make chicken Fried Steak
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of salt and black pepper over steaks.
- Combine crackers crumbs, 1 cup of flour, 1/2 baking powder, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper and red pepper.( I usually put the cracker in my processor and really crumble them up fine. You can use gloten free if you like)
- Whisk together 3/4 cup milk and eggs... Dredge Steaks in the cracker crumb mixture, dip in the milk/egg mixture and then back in the cracker mixture again..
- Preheat the over to 225 degrees... Pour the oil into a 12 inch skillet & heat to 360 (do not use a non stick skillet).
- Fry steaks in batches for 10 minutes.. turn and fry each batch 4 to 5 more minutes on the other side or until golden brown... remove to a wire rack on a jelly roll pan... keep steaks warm in the 225 oven. When finished frying remove oil from the skilet reserving cooked bits and 2 tablespoons of drippings for the gravy..
- Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup of flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper... heat the reserved oil in the skillet and add the flour mixture... stir untill combined and brown...(have to use judgement on the mixture... may need a little more oil if mixture is too dry.. it should be smoothe paste in form and browned) stir in 4 cups milk and whisk for 10 to 12 minutes stiring constantly until thickened.. serve gravy with steak and mashed potatoes