Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Lasagna
BEST lasagna I've ever made. Two modifications - I use ground chicken and Italian Chicken Sausage (no casing), tho the sausage will impact points value. If you're looking to scale back points, consider whole wheat (or Ronzoni) noodles, or substitute thinly sliced eggplant or zucchini in stead of noodles.
- 1 lb
- lean ground meat of your choice (i prefer chicken)
- 1 small
- onion, chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 28 oz
- can tomatoes, crushed
- 15 oz
- can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp
- basil, dried
- 1/4 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 c
- part skim ricotta
- 1 1/2 c
- part skim mozzarella
- uncooked lasagna noodles (more or less to suit)
- 1/2 c
- parm, romano, or asiago cheese
How to Make Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Lasagna
- 1Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken, chicken sausage, onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5 to 7 minutes. I also add mushrooms after the meat browns, but that's optional. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- 2In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- 3Spoon 1/3 of beef mixture into a 5-quart slow cooker. Break 3 lasagna sheets in half and arrange over beef mixture; top with half of ricotta mixture. Repeat with another layer and finish with remaining 1/3 of beef mixture.
- 4Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours. Remove cover; turn off heat and season to taste, if desired.
- 5In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over beef mixture. Cover and set aside until cheese melts and lasagna firms up, about 10 minutes. Yields 1/6th of dish per serving.
- 6Notes: To boost your vegetable intake, add a can of zucchini in tomato sauce to the meat mixture. You can also add 2 cups of sliced mushrooms to meat mixture.
I add the chicken sausage (Italian style) to the mixture to kick the flavor a little, but it's great without it too. Adding it will affect points value. Without it, this recipe is 10 points per serving.