As Zucchini, the watermelon rind just blends in and takes on the flavors in the sauce. No more wasting all of that watermelon rind! And guess what? It is good!
How to Make Watermelon Spaghetti
- Make a batch of Gavin's own pasta sauce. Simmer for 25 minutes before adding the veggies.
- Peel the green skin off of 1 watermelon rind. Cut some of the rind into 1/2 inch pieces that are about 1/4 of an inch thick. Soak overnight in salt water to cover. Rinse and drain well. Saute in skillet with butter and olive oil until slightly browned and tender. Put in pan of sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
*** cut some into carrot stick shape, soak overnight in salt water, rinse, drain well, dip in coatings and deep fry)
*** Cut some of the rind into 1/4 inch thick strips, cut into 1/4 inch pieces. Soak in salt water over night. Rinse and drain well. Saute in skillet with 1 TBS olive oil and 1 TBS margarine. Cook unti very tender. Add to meatball mixture.
- Make meatball mixture, add the watermelon rind, form into balls and fry for 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Add to pan of sauce.
- Make pasta according to directions on package. Rinse and drain.
- Fry watermelon rind according to directions.
- Plate: Put pasta on plate, add sauce and meatballs. Garnish with fried watermelon rind,(optional).