Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna (no pasta used)
Yes, you can substitute low fat cheeses in this recipe but I do not think the fat free cheeses work well. Adjust seasonings to your liking.
I found this recipe in a local newspaper last summer when zucchinis were so numerous that no one could even give them away. It happens every year around here and yet we all plant too many again the next year. This is a different way to use them up. And its good. Even kids will like this one.
- 3 lb
- 2 lb
- ricotta cheese (low fat ok), (homemade ok, see recipe link below in comment section) or use your favorite purchased ricotta
- 4 large
- eggs, lightly beaten (egg beaters ok)
- 1/4 c
- fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp
- basil, dried
- 1 tsp
- oregano, dried
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 c
- parmesan cheese, grated (low fat ok)
- 1 c
- bread crumbs
- 1 jar(s)
- home made or purchased spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb
- shredded mozzarella cheese (low fat ok)
How to Make Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna (no pasta used)
- 1NOTE: You will need some extra seasonings when you use your favorite spaghetti sauce in this dish but feel free to use more or less to your own liking.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut unpeeled zucchini into long slices about 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick. Cook in boiling water just until it begins to soften but not until it becomes limp, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Mix ricotta cheese, eggs, parsley, seasonings, 1/2 of the parmesan cheese, and 1/2 of the bread crumbs in a bowl. Set aside.
- 2In a 9 by 13 inch baking pan, spoon a layer of tomato sauce using a little less than 1/2 the sauce. Sprinkle 1/2 of the remaining bread crumbs over sauce.
Arrange layer of 1/2 of the zucchini slices over bread crumbs. Spoon 1/2 of the reserved ricotta mixture on top of the zucchini. Sprinkle with 1/2 the mozzarella cheese.
Arrange the rest of the zucchini over this, next layer remaining tomato sauce and then the remaining bread crumbs. Top with remaining ricotta mixture.
Finally top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- 3Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or until top is brown. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.