THE UGLY CALZONE
- pizza dough:
- 1 pkg
- dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp
- warm water
- 1/2 tsp
- 3 c
- 1 c
- boiling water, (use lukewarm if you use oil)
- 2 Tbsp
- shortening (crisco) (or vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp
- stuff to fill your calzone:
- bell pepper, (we used: red, green, orange & yellow) chopped how you like it
- green onion, cut up
- onion, cut to your preference
- mild italian sausage, lightly browned
- sweet italian sausage, lightly browned
- mushrooms, sliced
- tomatoes, sliced and cut up to your preference
- ham, cut to your preference
- black olives, sliced
- cheese: fiesta blend, mozzarella, monterey jack, your choice really
- fill your calzones with the things you like!
- pizza dipping sauce (or jarred spaghetti sauce:
- 10 1/2 oz. can tomato puree or sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, give or take
- oregano, ground in your hands and added
- italian seasoning, ground in your hand and added
REMEMBER IT LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF INGREDIENTS, BUT BASE IT ON WHAT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, WANT IN YOUR CALZONES.
How to Make THE UGLY CALZONE
- 1Preheat your oven to 425 - 475. Dissolve yeast in warm water with sugar, stir slightly, & let sit to rise. Pour boiling water over shortening in bowl, and cool.
- 2Combine the shortening mixture, yeast and 1/2 c. flour. Beat until smooth. Add flour till you can not and your dough is still moist.
- 3Use the ingredients above and make your dipping sauce. Pretty standard, you can add or omit the ingredients your choose.
- 4Spread some flour on the counter and knead your dough to make it into a pretty uniform shape so you can cut it in half.
- 5Put one half of your dough back in the bowl and cover. The half you kept out you want to try to shape it in a circle, we had better luck with a rectangle. Roll it out, till it is pretty thin.
- 7Once you have all your ingredients you want in the calzone, then you start folding it over in pinch it closed all around. If you have alot of excess dough all around, you can cut some of it off before closing it off.
- 8At this point, we chose to brush on some Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the top and sprinkle some parmesan cheese over it. You could also do it with italian seasoning instead of parmesan cheese.
- 9Put it on a greased cookie sheet. Put it in the oven for 10 to 20 minutes. Depends on your ingredients and how stuffed it is. We put it in for 10 minutes and then flipped it over to be sure both sides were a light golden brown.
- 10It is now ready to serve, we had to do this in batches two per cookie sheet, 3 different times as we had to make 6. We had an idea, you could probably also roll out your dough, put it in a pie plate or round cake pan, coming up and out the sides then add your goodies and put another piece over the top, cut off the excess and close it like you would a pie. Then you would virtualy have a calzone pie for 4? Just an idea. Ours were ugly, but my daughter started rolling them like burritos and they came out much better. ENJOY ! ! !