The Real Deal New York Style Pizza
This crust does require you to do some hand kneading-but it is worth it. The recipe makes 2-12 inch pies - one for now and one for later. The sauce is super simple and perfect for this pizza. Make it the same day you make the crust and the next day you will have an amazing pizza you won't soon forget.
The recipe can easily be frozen.
- 2 1/4 c
- all purpose flour plus more for kneading
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- instant yeast
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 7 1/2 oz
- warm water
- 6 oz
- tomato paste
- 1 tsp
- olive oil
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp
- salt to taste
- 1 c
- grated mozzerella
- 1/4 c
- fresh grated romano
FOR PIZZA CRUST:
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR PIZZA:
How to Make The Real Deal New York Style Pizza
- 1For dough:
In food processor add flour, sugar, salt, and instant yeast. Pulse to combine. Add olive oil and water. Pulse until dough forms a ball about 15 seconds. Pulse an additional 15 seconds.
- 2Kneading time!
If you have a kitchenaid mixer you can set it on the lowest setting and use your dough hook and let the machine knead the dough for 20 minutes - then on to step 3.
Dust surface lightly and start kneading until dough is smooth and elastic. This can take about an hour. Now try the window pane test - use the weight of the dough to stretch it out. If you can stretch it out to nearly transparent with out it breaking, you are there. If not, continue kneading and test again.
- 3Once you have your dough correct separate into 2 balls and place in quart zip lock bags. At this point you can freeze the dough or place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- 4For sauce:
In a medium sauce pan heat olive oil on medium low heat. Add tomato paste and saute 5 minutes. Add water, sugar, and italian seasoning. Cook 20 minutes and then taste to adjust seasoning. Cool completely then refrigerate until ready to use.
- 5For Pizza:
2 hours before bake time remove dough from zip lock bag dust with flour and place in a large bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm room...or if you live in a warm area - place outside on a table - lol. Allow to rise.
- 630 minutes before bake time preheat oven or convection toaster oven to 450 degrees. Warm pizza sauce to room temperature on the stove on low heat.
- 710 minutes before bake time stretch the dough by using the dough's weight until it is about 8 inches in diameter. Use your knuckles to continue to stretch dough to about 12 inches. DO NOT ROLL OUT DOUGH INTO BAKING SHEET- it will destroy the texture. Place dough into baking sheet and gently shape into place. Don't over work the dough.
- 8Spread 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup sauce over dough. Top with mozzerella. Bake for 15 minutes. Don't over bake you want a pliable chewy crust.
Enjoy the best New York Style Pizza you can make at home (: