- medium zucchini's, cleaned with ends on
- medium onion, finely chopped
- medium bell pepper, chopped
- cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1/2 lb
- lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb
- ground italian sausage or 1 pd gound beef if you don't want sausage
- 1/2 tsp
- oregano, dried
- eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 c
- parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 c
- 2 c
- mozzarella cheese or gouda or provolone, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Stuffed Zucchini
- 1Wash zucchini, "Do not cut off the ends". Drop them into a pot of cold waterand bring to a boil for 6-7 mins, depending on size, until tender. Remove from water and set aside to cool enough to handle.
- 2meanwhile, in a skillet, saute in the olive oil, garlic, onions and peppers together.When softened add ground beef and sausage, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Brown until no longer pink. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- 3Slice zucchini's lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and some of the meat to create a boat. Don't discard. Put the zucchini boats on a paper towel to drain. Chop the scooped out zucchini meat and seeds and stir them into the meat mixture.
- 4Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese into the meat mixture and add the eggs, blend well. Fill each zucchini boat with the meat mixture and top with the mozzarella cheese.
In a baking dish, bake in the oven, uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Until cheese is hot and bubbly.
- 5We made these and it tastes to me like zucchini pizza! Laura added hot marinara to her plate and placed the stuffed zucchini on top! Yum!