Spicy Sausage Calzones
We like ours spicier then they do, and so I came up with this version using Owens HOT pork sausage. They are my husband's favorite meal!
You could substitute, hamburger meat, mild pork sausage or Italian sausage.
How to Make Spicy Sausage Calzones
- Begin by sauteing your onions in skillet. Add 1 lb. of ground pork sausage to skillet and cook until done.
- Pour a jar of Ragu pizza sauce & a 4.5 oz. jar of sliced, drained mushrooms to a bowl.
- Add meat and onion mixture to the sauce mixture. Stir thoroughly.
- Divide large pizza dough (store bought or homemade) into six balls. On floured countertop or board roll out one ball at a time to an 8 or 9 inch circle.
- Fill 1/2 of circle with meat/sauce mixture and top with mozzerella cheese.
- Moisten edge of pizza dough circle and fold over in half and crimp.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with non-stick spray and place first completed calzone on sheet. Repeat steps 4-6 with remaining dough balls.
- Once all 6 lge. calzones on complete, whisk 2 eggs whites in a bowl. Using a pastry brush, "paint" your calzones with egg white and bake in an oven at 350 degrees for appox. 30 minutes. (Egg white will help them to brown).