Shrimp Fra Diavolo
1 lbshrimp, peeled and deveined
1white onion, finely chopped
16 ozdiced tomatoes with juices
1 cdry white wine
3 Tbspbasil, fresh - chopped
·crushed red pepper flakes
How to Make Shrimp Fra Diavolo
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with a teaspoon of salt and about 2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper flakes. (If you like "heat", use more - but remember! a little goes a long way.) Allow the shrimp to sit in the refrigerator about 1/2 hour to absorb the spice.
- In a large, heavy pan, over medium-high flame, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the shrimp and saute (both sides) until translucent - about 2 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp to the large bowl and set aside. Add a little olive oil to pan, let it heat up, and then add onion and saute until translucent - about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and juice, wine, garlic and basil, and simmer about 10 minutes to thicken.
- Return the shrimp (and its juices) to the pan and make sure to coat the shrimp, simmer about 5 minutes. Serve with pasta (angel hair or thin spaghetti is best).