24 ozwhite button mushrooms or baby portabella (you can even use large portabello mushrooms caps)
1/3 lbbulk sausage (any flavor you want)
1medium onion, finely diced
4 clovefresh garlic, finely minced
8 ozcream cheese
3/4 cfreshly grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cdry white wine
·salt and pepper to taste
·finely chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish (optional)
How to Make Sausage and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Wash mushrooms in water and dry and remove stems from caps. (it's okay to wash mushrooms they will not absorb the water)
- Finely chop mushroom stems.
- Brown and crumble sausage. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Add onions and garlic to the same skillet; cook for 2 minutes over medium low heat. Pour in wine to deglaze pan, allow liquid to evaporate. Add in chopped mushroom stems, stir to cook for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set mixture aside on a plate to cool.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese and egg yolk. Stir together with Parmesan cheese.
- Add cooled sausage and cooled mushroom stems. Stir mixture together and refrigerate for a short time to firm up.
- Smear mixture into the cavity of each mushroom, creating a sizable mound over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool at least ten minutes before serving; the stuffed mushrooms taste better when not piping hot. Garnish with minced flat leaf parsley.