Polka Dot Pizzas - Original 1975 Recipe
This was a recipe I made over and over again as a kid. :)
With all the wonderful ready made ingredients available today, it would be so easy to make variations using different sauces and toppings.
Hope you all enjoy the memories this brings back, as much as I did.
- 2 can(s)
- (8 oz each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 c
- chopped onion (or 3 tbsp. dry minced)
- 2 tsp
- dry oregano
- 1/4 tsp
- black pepper
- 2 1/2 c
- biscuit baking mix
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 2/3 c
- hot water
- 2 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded or mozzarella
- hot dogs
How to Make Polka Dot Pizzas - Original 1975 Recipe
- 1Heat oven to 425 degrees. Rub some flour into breadboard to cover about a 10-inch area.
- 2Mix the tomato sauce, onion, oregano and pepper in medium bowl with fork.(You'll use this later for a topping.)
- 3Mix baking mix and the yeast in large bowl with another fork. Stir in the hot water and beat vigorously until the dough cleans the side of the bowl.
- 4Gently smooth the dough into a ball on the floured board. Knead 20 times. Allow the dough to rest a few minutes, then divide the dough into 3 equal parts.
- 5Shape 1 part into a ball and place it in the center of ungreased cookie sheet. Rub a little flour on rolling pin and roll the ball into an oval 1/4-inch thick. Pinch the edge to make a little stand-up rim.
- 6Dip out 1/3 of the tomato sauce mixture (about 2/3 cup) and pour onto the oval. Spread the sauce mixture almost to the edge of the dough with rubber scraper. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the shredded cheese (about 2/3 cup).
- 7Cut 2 of the hotdogs crosswise into penny slices on cutting board. Arrange the slices on the pizza.
- 8Bake in 425 degree oven 15 to 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- 9Repeat steps 5 through 8 with 2 remaining parts of dough and remaining sauce, cheese, and hotdogs to make 2 more pizzas.
- 10Note: You may want to gobble up the pizzas as they come out of the oven. If not, this is a good bake-ahead recipe. When you're ready to eat, heat the pizzas, 2 at a time, on an ungreased cokkie sheet in a 300 degree oven, about 5 minutes or until hot. The third pizza will be ready by the time you've finished eating the first 2.