My family requests this ALL the time. It is meant as an appetizer, however, we eat it as a meal.
1 pkg(3.5 oz.) pepperoni slices
1 can(s)(3.25 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained
2 tspdried parsley
1/2 cmozzarella cheese
2 Tbspall-purpose flour
1/8 tspgarlic powder
2 pkg(11 oz. each) refrigerated french bread dough
1 tspdried italian seasoning mix
2 Tbspgrated parmesan cheese
1 can(s)(15 oz.) pizza sauce, warmed (optional)
How to Make Pizza Twist
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Dice the pepperoni.
- Chop the olives.
- Combine the pepperoni, olives, parsley, mozzarella cheese, flour, and garlic powder.
- Mix well.
- Place bread dough, seam sides up, on cutting board.
- Spread the loaves open flat.
- Roll dough crosswise to create a well down the center of each loaf.
- Spoon half of the pepperoni mixture down the center of each loaf.
- Gather up edges over filling and pinch firmly to seal.
- Place the loaves in an “X” pattern on a rectangle stone or cookie sheet.
- Crisscross the ends of the dough to form a large “figure-8.”
- Separate the egg and discard the yolk (or set aside for another use).
- Beat the egg white and Italian seasoning mix.
- Lightly brush the egg white mixture over the dough with a pastry brush.
- Cut a small slit in each of the top sections of the twist to reveal the filling.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the loaf.
- Bake 30-32 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Let cool for ten minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve with warm pizza sauce (if desired).