★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/2 cwarm water
2 tsplight brown sugar - firmly packed
2 pkgactive dry yeast
3 1/2 cflour
4 Tbspolive oil
1/4 cwhole wheat flour
4 largegarlic cloves, minced
1/2 cwhipping cream
3 Tbspbasil, fresh chopped
3 Tbsporegano, fresh chopped
8plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
3 Tbspunsalted butter
1/2 cgorgonzola cheese, crumbled
·or just top with your favorites, onion, black olives, roasted garlic, mushrooms, your choice!
How to Make Pizza On The Grill
- DOUGH: Measure 1/2 cup warm water in a bowl. Add sugar and yeast and stir to dissolve.
- Let stand at least 5 minutes to proof (froth forms on top).
- Meanwhile, sift together into a large bowl the white flour, wheat flour, corn meal and salt.
- Make a depression in the middle and add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1 cup warm water.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Mix all ingredients with your hands and gather together and place on floured board.
- Knead about 10 minutes, adding more flour if dough is sticky, to form a smooth, elastic mass.
- Grease a large bowl with olive oil.
- Add dough, turning it to coat top.
- Cover and let rise in warm place, draft-free location until doubled in size (45 minutes for fast rising yeast, 1 1/2 hours for regular).
- While dough is rising make sauce by melting butter in a saute pan.
- Add garlic and saute for one minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cream, basil and oregano and bring to a boil, remove from heat.
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces and, on floured surface, roll out to desired shape about 1/2 inch thick.
- Coat both sides of shaped crust with olive oil, then place on grill directly over fire until upper surface begins to bubble (about 2 minutes).
- Fire must be very hot and grill must be clean (coals should be red with a small flame, like a steak fire; this is important).
- Watch crust closely and rotate with spatula if necessary.
- Remove crust and turn cooked side up (it should be golden brown).
- Brush with olive oil, sauce, cheese and desired toppings.
- Sprinkle some olive oil over each pizza.
- Return for final cooking (2-4 minutes), rotating for even cooking.