Pizza ala Ditka
- refrigerated pizza crust or frozen bread dough
- 1 lb
- italian sausage (sweet, hot or combo)
- 1/2 lb
- pepperoni slices (good quality)
- 1 small
- green pepper
- 1 medium
- 8 oz
- fresh mushrooms
- 1 can(s)
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes, drained
- salt, pepper, fennel seed, italian seasoning, garlic powder, red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp
- minced garlic
- 1/4 c
- fresh basil
- 1/8 c
- fresh parsley
- splash, red wine
- 2 c
- mozzarella cheese, shredded or about 10 slices
- 1/2 c
- freshly grated parmesan
How to Make Pizza ala Ditka
- 1Press pizza dough in 9 x 13" pan, including up along the sides. (Depending type of dough, make sure to spray w/ cooking spray 1st.) Bake dough according to directions.
- 2Add some olive oil (abt 1-2 Tbs) to a skillet & heat. Remove casings from sausage & crumble. Fry until a golden brown. Remove sausage & sprinkle over pizza crust evenly. Sprinkle mozzarella all over the sausage & pizza crust. Layer pepperoni on top.
- 3Sautee onions, mushrooms, & green pepper until tender. Drain juices. Add tomatoes, spices, (except for fresh parsley) & simmer all together. NOTE: Fennel seed is delicious, but strong -- you don't need much. Add splash of red wine & fresh parsley. Simmer a bit more. When cooked just enough, spoon over the mozzarella, covering the entire pizza.
- 4Top with freshly grated parmesan reggiano. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Enjoy! This even tastes good straight from the refrigerator the next day cold.