Pasta with Vodka Sauce
Jayne Cagle Combs1
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- evergood spicy sausage, chopped into pieces
- small onion finely chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic minced
- 2 pinch
- essence of emeril (see his site on how to make it)
- 1-2 tsp
- oregano, dried
- 1/2 c
- 14.5 oz of stewed tomatoes - italian style
- 15 oz of tomato sauce
- 3/4 c
- almond milk, regular not vanilla
- 1/3 c
- butter, melted
- fresh basil
- 1/4 c
- peccorino romano cheese
- 3/4 pkg
- penne pasta
- salt and pepper to taste before putting in the pasta
How to Make Pasta with Vodka Sauce
- 1Take a non-stick pan (I use a 14 inch frying pan)over medium heat. Let the pan heat up a little then put the oil in. Lower the heat a little and saute the onions in the oil about 5-6 minutes. Be careful not to burn it so adjust your heat accordingly.
- 2Add in the garlic and saute it for about another minute. Add a little more oil if you need to but not too much. Then add the oregano and the essence of emeril. Stir to combine.
- 3Be sure flame is down low and take the pot off the heat and then pour in the vodka. Stir a little and then put it back on the stove and turn the heat up a little. If you aren't using gas you can skip taking it off the heat. Let it reduce in half. Keep stirring.
- 4Next you will add the tomato sauce and take the stewed tomatoes and squeeze them in your hands over the pan. Pour in the remaining juice from the cans. Add chopped sausage. Turn heat to low and partially cover and stir occasionally for about 45 min. But see next step for some important time management.
- 5Prior to this 45 minutes being done, you will need to have your pasta cooked (boil in salty water) and your melted butter and milk ready. Be sure the butter has some time to cool a little before mixing the milk with it.
- 6Once the 45 minutes is up and your pasta is cooked and drained, taste the sauce to see if you will need any additional seasoning. Add the milk/butter combo and stir over low heat. Add the fresh basil, cooked pasta and stir. Add the cheese and stir. Once pasta has been covered and all is mixed together place them in a bowl with a little more cheese grated on top. Serve with a nice salad and garlic bread.