Not Quite Your Wise Guy Spaghetti Sauce
28 ozbest quality canned tomatoes or fresh romas, skinned and seeded
1/4 colive oil
1 Tbsphot pepper flakes
2/3 cfinely diced onion
1 tsporegano or 2 tbsp fresh
1 tspparsley, or 2 tbsp fresh
2/3 cdrinkable red wine
2/3 cgood quality parmesan cheese
1 Tbspsugar (optional) depending on sweetness of tomatoes
How to Make Not Quite Your Wise Guy Spaghetti Sauce
- Warm the olive oil in a saute pan and add the onions, cooking gently until translucent. Add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, tomatoes.
- Using a microplane grate the garlic into the mix.Add dried herbs if using. If using fresh, delay.
- Simmer slowly checking every 30 minutes or so until most of the liquid is evaporated and the sauce is quite thick. Add wine.
- Continue the simmer until sauce has thickened to the right consistency. Usually about 2 hours in total.
- Shut off heat, add the cheese, any fresh herbs, and taste for sweetness and add sugar if desired.
- Best if you can let this sit for a hour or two. Reheat slowly, adding meatballs if desired.