★★★★★ 1 vote5
Few or Many
- tomatoes, crushed (canned)
- onions, garlic, red bell peppers, mushrooms
- tomato paste, italian (canned)
- basil, oregano, parsley
- parmesan cheese
- olive oil, extra virgin, worstershire sauce
- pork ribs
- italian sweet or hot sausage
- beef or veal
How to Make Mina's Gravy
- 1Pour tomatoes in a pot. Add paste (one can paste per one can of crushed tomatoes). Add a pour of olive oil, short pour of worstershire sauce. Bring to a boil, but watch it so it doesn't stick. Then turn down to simmer.
- 2Briefly saute' onions, garlic, red bell peppers and mushrooms in olive oil just to get the flavors going. Add to pot.
- 3Put all the meat in a large pan and stick under the broiler till browned on all sides (you could add meatballs in here too if they are made small enough). You could also add a little garlic powder over the meat and toss to coat.
- 4While the meat is under the broiler, add palms of basil, oregano, parsley and parm cheese to the pot. Stir well. Stir in a pour of wine and sprinkle the sugar over the top of the gravy and stir in. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Once browned, add meat to pot. Stir and simmer for about 3-4 hours. If it gets too thick, add a little water. Make sure you stir frequently so the gravy doesn't stick to the pot.
- 6Serve with Rigatoni, or by itself with bread and salad. Enjoy. Refrigerate any leftovers.