★★★★★ 1 vote5
Few or Many
·tomatoes, crushed (canned)
·onions, garlic, red bell peppers, mushrooms
·tomato paste, italian (canned)
·basil, oregano, parsley
·olive oil, extra virgin, worstershire sauce
·italian sweet or hot sausage
·beef or veal
How to Make Mina's Gravy
- Pour tomatoes in a pot. Add paste (one can paste per one can of crushed tomatoes). Add a pour of olive oil, short pour of worstershire sauce. Bring to a boil, but watch it so it doesn't stick. Then turn down to simmer.
- Briefly saute' onions, garlic, red bell peppers and mushrooms in olive oil just to get the flavors going. Add to pot.
- Put all the meat in a large pan and stick under the broiler till browned on all sides (you could add meatballs in here too if they are made small enough). You could also add a little garlic powder over the meat and toss to coat.
- While the meat is under the broiler, add palms of basil, oregano, parsley and parm cheese to the pot. Stir well. Stir in a pour of wine and sprinkle the sugar over the top of the gravy and stir in. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Once browned, add meat to pot. Stir and simmer for about 3-4 hours. If it gets too thick, add a little water. Make sure you stir frequently so the gravy doesn't stick to the pot.
- Serve with Rigatoni, or by itself with bread and salad. Enjoy. Refrigerate any leftovers.