Kelly's ULTIMATE grilled cheese sandwich
I work at a very nice senior care home, and often make lunch for the residents who live there. This is my most requested lunch, and one that I also love love love to make for myself. It makes my husband and family very happy.
BREAD OF YOUR CHOICE
·my personal favorite is sourdough
·you can use tomato sauce, but spaghetti sauce has more flavor because of pre-added seasonings
CHEESE OF YOUR CHOICE
·this ingredient varies from sandwich to sandwich for me. just depends on what i have on hand. pick your personal favorite! just please don't use that fake american cheese that so many people use in their grilled cheeses. use real cheese!
·spinnach and ham
How to Make Kelly's ULTIMATE grilled cheese sandwich
- Put a little butter on a griddle or non stick pan. Just enough to coat and make sure nothing will stick.
- On one side of each slice of bread VERY lightly spread on some mayonnaise. Use this instead of butter for the outside of the sandwich while grilling. This is a tip my husband's grandma taught him, and it makes your sandwich AMAZING!! I repeat...do NOT glob it on. Nice and thin layer.
- Slice up your onion thinly and throw it in a pan with some butter. Cook until onions are deliciously caramelized. If you want to add in optional items such as spinnach and thinly sliced ham do this once the onions are almost done.
- Lay your bread with the mayo side down and spoon on a generous layer of the spaghetti sauce onto the opposite side of each slice of bread.
- Sprinkle onto the spaghetti sauced side of your bread with a generous sprinkling of italian seasoning.
- Lay your cheese onto the side with the spaghetti sauce on it, and set the other slice of bread on top with the mayo side up. Put your sandwich in the pan or on the griddle and grill both sides until cheese is ooey-gooey and the outside of the bread is beautifully golden.
- Pry open your gooey cheese sandwich and fill it with your caramelized onions and optional items. Squish back together and slice in half with some spaghetti sauce on the side for dipping.
- I guarantee this amazing grilled cheese will make you VERY happy! :)