ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE
You can adjust the amount of herbs you add to the sauce to make it your own. The longer you cook it the better it gets. If the sauce gets too thick you can always add a little water to it. Add a half a cup of light cream and make a pink sauce.
This is a favorite of my family and friends.
I hope you enjoy it.
- 3 lb
- ripe plum tomatoes cored peeled and seeded or 1 35 oz can peeled italian plum tomatoes in puree. lightly crush, with their liquid.
- 6 oz
- tomato paste, italian
- 2 c
- 1/4 c
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 small
- onion (chopped)
- carrot, grated
- 2-3 clove
- garlic, fresh minced
- bay leaves
- basil leaves, finely cut or 2 teaspoons dried
- sprigs fresh parsley, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1/2 tsp
- oregano, dried
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE
- 1Crush tomatoes as fine as possible if they are whole.
- 2In a medium to large size sauce pan pour olive oil and finely chopped onion and carrot, sauté until soft. Add minced garlic. Cook briefly not to burn garlic. (Garlic turns bitter if over browned)
- 3Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste with 2 cups of water. Stir. Add remaining ingredients.
- 4The sauce should simmer for at least 1 ½ - 2 hours with lid partially covering pan. Stir occasionally to prevent sauce sticking to the bottom of pan. Remove the bay leaf before serving.