Italian Sausage Creole
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 5 italian sausage, prefer dirusso medium heat, slice while frozen into about 1/4 inch slices
- 4 decent size green peppers ( 5 if small) cut into thin strips
- 3 large onions, or 4 medium, cut in half end to end then each half cut into between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick strips
- 3 28oz can(s)
- stewed tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp
- basil, dried
How to Make Italian Sausage Creole
- 1In large pot(preferably not non stick as it doesn't brown as well)like 6 quart,cook sausage over medium high heat stirring frequently just until browned.
- 2Add onions and green pepper and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover and let cook until veggies are getting soft and somewhat limp, stirring about every 10 min. You will get alot of juices developing, this is a good thing!
- 3Add your stewed tomato's and basil and stir. Bring to a slow boil, then reduce to simmer uncovered. Now just step back and let the magic happen! Let slowly simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours stirring about every 20min. or so just to avoid scorching. Turn heat off and cover until ready to serve.
- 4Serve over a long grain white rice ( please no instant) and enjoy!