Hot and Sweet Spaghetti Sauce
One of the first things I made when I went out on my own at 18 and was always a favorite with my friends. Have always used this recipe with the exception of the brown sugar which my late friend Lilli suggested I add a few years later and I loved it! Always have a good memory of her when I add the brown sugar.
- 1 1/2 lb
- ground beef
- large links of italian sausage, i use hot but feel free to use regular or sweet
- 2 large
- green peppers, large dice
- 1 large
- onion, large dice
- 10 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2~8 oz
- package of white mushrooms, sliced
- 28 oz
- can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 6 oz
- can of tomato paste, roasted garlic or plain
- 3~24 oz
- jar or can of spaghetti sauce, your choice
- 1/2 c
- brown sugar
- 1 tsp
- 2 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp
- italian seasoning, i use penzey spice's tuscan sunset blend
- a few shakes of garlic powder
How to Make Hot and Sweet Spaghetti Sauce
- 1With the Italian sausage still in the casing, squeeze out some of the sausage so it resembles a ball about half the size of a golf ball. Do this will all the sausage. Brown ground beef and sausage in large skillet until done. Drain off fat in a colander and return to skillet.
- 2In a large stockpot with lid, heat 2 tbs olive oil over medium heat. Add green pepper, onion and mushrooms. Cook until slightly tender with a little crunch left in the onion and peppers. Add minced garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- 3Add jars of spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes and tomato paste to cooked vegetables in stockpot. Mix well. Add cooked hamburger and sausage to sauce in stockpot. Mix well.
- 4Add brown sugar, pepper, salt, Italian seasoning and a few shakes of garlic powder to sauce. Mix well.
- 5Reduce heat to low and cover pan with lid. Simmer over low heat,stirring occasionally, for at least 30 minutes, but I do mine for a few hours to let the flavors do their thing.
- 6I use this sauce over spaghetti and for making manicotti and stuffed shells. Enjoy!!