How to Make Homemade Ricotta
- Set a large sieve over a deep bowl. Dampen 2 layers of cheesecloth with water and line the sieve with the cheesecloth.
- Pour the milk and cream into a stainless-steel or enameled pot. Stir in the salt and bring to a full boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the vinegar. Allow the mixture to stand for 1 minute until it curdles. It will separate into thick parts (curds) and milky parts (the whey).
- Pour the mixture into the cheesecloth-lined sieve and allow to drain at room temperature for 20-25 minutes, occasionally discardintg the liquid that collects in the bowl. (The longer you let it drain, the thicker the ricotta.)
- Transfer the ricotta to a bowl and either use immediately or refrigerate. It will keep refrigerated for 4-5 days.
- This recipe only makes about 2 cups so you may want to double it.
- Warning: If you taste it, you will wind up eating half of it. Well, that's my experience anyway!!! ;-)