This is Ina Garten's (Barefood Contessa) recipe for homemade ricotta. It's so easy to make and so much better than store bought ricotta. There are so many recipes you can add this to but truth be told, it's delicious all by itself!!!!
How to Make Homemade Ricotta
- 1Set a large sieve over a deep bowl. Dampen 2 layers of cheesecloth with water and line the sieve with the cheesecloth.
- 2Pour the milk and cream into a stainless-steel or enameled pot. Stir in the salt and bring to a full boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- 3Turn off the heat and stir in the vinegar. Allow the mixture to stand for 1 minute until it curdles. It will separate into thick parts (curds) and milky parts (the whey).
- 4Pour the mixture into the cheesecloth-lined sieve and allow to drain at room temperature for 20-25 minutes, occasionally discardintg the liquid that collects in the bowl. (The longer you let it drain, the thicker the ricotta.)
- 5Transfer the ricotta to a bowl and either use immediately or refrigerate. It will keep refrigerated for 4-5 days.
- 6This recipe only makes about 2 cups so you may want to double it.
- 7Warning: If you taste it, you will wind up eating half of it. Well, that's my experience anyway!!! ;-)
Show 13 Comments & Reviews