Heidi's 'Ghetti Sauce (Tomato-base Spaghetti Sauce)
1 lbMild Italian sausage (NOT ground)
2 ptStewed tomatoes (if using store-bought, 1 15 oz can))
1 can(s)Tomato paste
1 ptHeidi's Green Tomato Garden Relish (or store-bought green salsa)
1/4 lbFresh mushrooms
2 - 3 TbspItalian seasoning, rubbed between palms
1/2Yellow onion, medium
1 lbArtichoke hearts (if using store-bought, 14 oz. can - NOT the marinated kind)
How to Make Heidi's 'Ghetti Sauce (Tomato-base Spaghetti Sauce)
- Brown Italian Sausages in 1 or 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices, and return them to the pan to cook thoroughly through. Do NOT drain the oil when sausage finishes cooking. This will add to flavor of sauce!
- Combine: Stewed tomatoes, Tomato paste, Heidi's Garden Relish, Mushrooms, and Italian seasoning. Process in food processor (hit surge button 1 to 3 times until mushroom pieces are about the size of barley kernals), and then add to the pan of cooked sausage slices.
- Adjust heat under pan to MEDIUM or MED-LOW for a slow, easy simmer.
- Mince onion and cut artichoke hearts into bite-sized pieces. Add both to sauce mixture.
- Heat through
- I serve my sauce separate from the spaghetti, which I keep moist with a bit of oleo, a dash of garlic salt and a palmful of basil. My son and I both like to add a sprinkle of Romano or Parmesan cheese to our piles of pasta before we spoon on the sauce.