Heidi's 'Ghetti Sauce (Tomato-base Spaghetti Sauce)
This is a thick, full-flavored sauce that has been a favorite of my family (especially husband & son) since my litle boy was 5! Even the kids love it, because the things that usually cause their little noses to turn up (like 'shrooms and onions) are all cut into tiny pieces and not so recognizably offensive to them. Very worth the added effort!
- 1 lb
- Mild Italian sausage (NOT ground)
- 2 pt
- Stewed tomatoes (if using store-bought, 1 15 oz can))
- 1 can(s)
- Tomato paste
- 1 pt
- Heidi's Green Tomato Garden Relish (or store-bought green salsa)
- 1/4 lb
- Fresh mushrooms
- 2 - 3 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning, rubbed between palms
- Yellow onion, medium
- 1 lb
- Artichoke hearts (if using store-bought, 14 oz. can - NOT the marinated kind)
How to Make Heidi's 'Ghetti Sauce (Tomato-base Spaghetti Sauce)
- 1Brown Italian Sausages in 1 or 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices, and return them to the pan to cook thoroughly through. Do NOT drain the oil when sausage finishes cooking. This will add to flavor of sauce!
- 2Combine: Stewed tomatoes, Tomato paste, Heidi's Garden Relish, Mushrooms, and Italian seasoning. Process in food processor (hit surge button 1 to 3 times until mushroom pieces are about the size of barley kernals), and then add to the pan of cooked sausage slices.
- 3Adjust heat under pan to MEDIUM or MED-LOW for a slow, easy simmer.
- 4Mince onion and cut artichoke hearts into bite-sized pieces. Add both to sauce mixture.
- 5Heat through
- 6I serve my sauce separate from the spaghetti, which I keep moist with a bit of oleo, a dash of garlic salt and a palmful of basil. My son and I both like to add a sprinkle of Romano or Parmesan cheese to our piles of pasta before we spoon on the sauce.