Heidi's 'Ghetti Sauce (Tomato-base Spaghetti Sauce)
- 1 lb
- Mild Italian sausage (NOT ground)
- 2 pt
- Stewed tomatoes (if using store-bought, 1 15 oz can))
- 1 can(s)
- Tomato paste
- 1 pt
- Heidi's Green Tomato Garden Relish (or store-bought green salsa)
- 1/4 lb
- Fresh mushrooms
- 2 - 3 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning, rubbed between palms
- Yellow onion, medium
- 1 lb
- Artichoke hearts (if using store-bought, 14 oz. can - NOT the marinated kind)
How to Make Heidi's 'Ghetti Sauce (Tomato-base Spaghetti Sauce)
- 1Brown Italian Sausages in 1 or 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices, and return them to the pan to cook thoroughly through. Do NOT drain the oil when sausage finishes cooking. This will add to flavor of sauce!
- 2Combine: Stewed tomatoes, Tomato paste, Heidi's Garden Relish, Mushrooms, and Italian seasoning. Process in food processor (hit surge button 1 to 3 times until mushroom pieces are about the size of barley kernals), and then add to the pan of cooked sausage slices.
- 3Adjust heat under pan to MEDIUM or MED-LOW for a slow, easy simmer.
- 4Mince onion and cut artichoke hearts into bite-sized pieces. Add both to sauce mixture.
- 5Heat through
- 6I serve my sauce separate from the spaghetti, which I keep moist with a bit of oleo, a dash of garlic salt and a palmful of basil. My son and I both like to add a sprinkle of Romano or Parmesan cheese to our piles of pasta before we spoon on the sauce.