Healthy Turkey Calzones
These were mind blowingly delicious! It was my first experience with Italian seasoned turkey sausage and I LOVED IT!
- 3 jennie-o turkey italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (10 oz) can refrigerated pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup pizza cheese
- 1 (4 oz) can mushrooms
- 1 (2.25 oz) can black olives
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tespoon water
How to Make Healthy Turkey Calzones
- 1In a skillet, cook the turkey sausage until cooked through. Add onion, green pepper, and galric; cook over medium heat, drain and set aside.
- 2In a saucepan, bring tomato sauce and Italian seasoning to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir 1/2 cup of sauce into meat mixture; keep remaining sauce warm.
- 3Unroll pizza crust on a floured surface. Roll into a 12 inch circle; cut into 2 sections. Spread ricotta cheese over each section to about 1/2 inch of the edge. Top with meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, mushrooms, and olives.
- 4Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle; press edges together with a fork to seal.
- 5Place on a greased cookie sheet. In a small bowl, combine egg and water, whisk together. Lightly brush over calzones with a pastry brush. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with remaining sauce.