Eggplant Ricotta Bake
Pinched from Gourmet Girl Cooks
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 largeeggplants, sliced lengthwise 3/4" thick, leave skin on
1 lbricotta cheese
1 cromano cheese, grated, divided
·fresh chopped basil
2 cmarinara sauce
·olive oil to brush on eggplants
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Eggplant Ricotta Bake
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven till tender and golden, about 20-30 minutes (you could also cook eggplant slices on a gas or charcoal grill until tender
- In a bowl, whisk ricotta, eggs, 1/2 cup of the Romano cheese, fresh basil, salt and pepper.
- Lower temperature to 375. Brush the bottom and the sides of an 2-1/2 to 3 quart square or oblong casserole dish with oil. Place 1/4 of the roasted eggplant down, spread with marinara, more eggplant, half of the ricotta mixture, repeat everything ending with ricotta on top. Spread remaining 1/2 cup of Romano over top.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with a side of pasta, if desired.
- ***Important: Let cool for about 15 minutes so that everything sets and it isn't runny.