Relda Jean Sandgran
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 largeeggplant, peeled
2 largeportabello mushrooms
1-2 Tbspolive oil
1 cmozzarella cheese
1 cparmigiano-reggiano, grated
1 jar(s)ragu extra chunky mushroom sauce
·italian bread crumbs
How to Make Eggplant Parmesan
- Cut both ends off the eggplant and discard.Peel and slice eggplant into 1/2" thick slices long way of eggplant.
- Peel top skin off of portabello mushroom, discard stem and scoop out black veins of mushrooms. Slice in long slices. Be careful not to break mushrooms. I peel the skin off of the large mushrooms because I find them tough. You do not have to peel them if you don't want, but I would take out the black veins.
- Place beaten egg in a flat bowl big enough for the slices of eggplant to be dipped in. Place flour on a plate, place Italian bread crumbs on another plate. Just put enough bread crumbs to do a few slices at a time or the eggs will make the bread crumbs clump together.
- Add olive oil to a 12" flat frying pan. Cook mushrooms until partially cooked being careful to not break them. Remove to a paper towel.
- Add Oil to fry pan just enough to coat the bottom of the pan (don't let get to hot. Dip a slice of eggplant in the flour, then the egg then the bread crumbs coating both sides. On medium heat Brown each eggplant turning to brown both sides. Don't overcook them. Just let them get crispy on the outside. Remove to paper towel to let drain. Coat and cook all eggplant. If the bread crumbs that come off the eggplant start to burn clean your pan and add fresh oil.
- Place layer of eggplant on the bottom of a pan. (Size of pan will be determined by the size of eggplant.) Top with sauce, add all of the sliced mushrooms a couple of handfuls of Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Add another layer of eggplant and the rest of the sauce. Cover with foil and place in a 375 oven for 20 minutes. Remove and add another handful of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered for another 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted through. Let set about 10 minutes before eating.
- NOTE: For those of you that are eggplant specialists you can leave the skin on, I just don't care for it. You can also mix your cheeses together. I have also used the shaker type of Parmesan cheese if I don't have the fresh grated.