★★★★★ 1 vote5
4-6chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
·saltand freshly ground black pepper
3 lbsmal red potatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
6carrots, peeled and sliced diagnonally
1 largered onion, thinly sliced
4 cdry white wine
4 cchicken broth
1 Tbspdried oregano
1 Tbspdried thyme
1 stickbutter, room temperature
How to Make Chicken Vesuvio - Bastardized Version
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the chicken, potatoes, carrots and onions with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken in the pot until golden brown.
- Transfer the chicken to a large casserole.
- Carefully add the carrots and onion to the skillet and cook until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Carrots should caramelize a bit. Transfer to casserole with chicken.
- Carefully add the potatoes to the skillet and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add additional olive oil, as needed.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Transfer to the chicken, carrot and onions.
- Add the wine, broth, oregano and thyme to the skillet and stir to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Let simmer for about five minutes.
- Add 1/2 stick of butter and cook 'til butter is melted, then add to the chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and bake in the oven about 30 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Add remainder of butter just before serving to thicken up broth.
- Serve in a shallow bowl. Enjoy!