This is the best mannicotti recipe I have ever found. I no longer remember where it came from but I like it because you make the mannicotti yourself and it tastes so much better - but is a bit of work. I change it only by adding meat to the sauce, but you can make it without the meat also.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 can (2 lb, 3 oz) italian tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- optional - l lb ground beef
- 1 tso dried basil leaves
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan chaeese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
How to Make Baked Mannicotti
- 1To make the sauce, brown the meat (if using meat) and saute onion and garlic 5 minutes in large pan.
- 2Mix in the rest of the sauce ingredients plus 1 and 1/2 cups water, mashing tomatoes with fork.
- 3Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer mixture, covered and stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
- 4Make the mannicotti: In a medium bowl, combine 6 eggs, the flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 1 and 1/2 cups water. With electric mixer, beat just until smooth. Let stand 1/2 hour or longer.
- 5Slowly heat an 8-in skillet. Pour in 3 tbs batter, rotating the skillet quickly to spread the batter evenly over bottom. Cook over medium heat until the top is dry but bottom is not brown.
- 6Turn out on a wire rack to cool. Continue cooking until all the batter is used. As the mannicotti cools, stack with waxed paper between them.
- 7Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 8Make the filling: In large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, 1/3 cup Parmesan, the eggs, salt, pepper and parsley. Beat with a wooden spoon to blend well.
- 9Spread about 1/4 cup filling down the center of each mannicotti, and roll up.
- 10Spoon 1 and 1/2 cups sauce into each of two 12 by 8 by 2 inch baking dishes. Place 8 rolled mannicotti seam side down, in a single layer. Top with 5 more.
- 11Cover with 1 cup of sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 12Bake, uncovered, 1/2 hour, or until bubbly.