Valley Green Farm's French Onion Soup
This recipe makes enough soup for plenty of leftovers. Just store your croutes and extra gruyere cheese in separate containers in the fridge. Reheat soup; drop croutes into hot soup and sprinkle with gruyere, and you're ready to go!
- 1 1/2 stick
- butter (preferably organic)
- 4 lb
- yellow onions (organic) peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp
- chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp
- sugar (organic)
- 1 Tbsp
- 2 c
- chardonnay wine
- 64 oz
- organic chicken broth or stock (swanson)
- 1 Tbsp
- black pepper
- loaf french bread, sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 1/2 stick
- 1/4 tsp
- garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp
- grey poupon or good dijon mustard
- 2 c
- gruyere cheese, shredded
How to Make Valley Green Farm's French Onion Soup
- 4Reduce heat to low again, cover pot and let simmer (very low) for 25-30 more minutes. Stir every 5 minutes.
- 5Heat oven broiler. Melt 1/2 stick butter in dish in microwave. Add garlic salt to melted butter and mix well. Place French bread slices on cookie sheet and brush each with your melted garlic butter. Place under broiler for 1 minute to toast VERY lightly.
- 6Remove your croutes from the oven and brush each piece lightly with Grey Poupon or Dijon mustard. Sprinkle each piece with Gruyere cheese and place under broiler again. (Set aside remaining cheese for soup topping.) Toast croutes approximately 1 minute or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove croutes from oven and place 2-3 in the bottom of each soup bowl.