French Onion Soup with Grilled Ham & Cheese Sandwich- French Style
This is very quick to make if you prepare everything in advance. Hope you enjoy it.
- onions, thinly sliced
- 8 c
- beef stock
- bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp
- garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp
- dried thyme
- black pepper & salt, to taste
- french baquette, cut diagonally, lightly buttered on one side
- stringing mozzarella or gruyere cheese, as desired
- sourdough bread slices, each buttered
- slices of muenster, gruyere, swiss or provolone cheese
- ham, pref. honey baked ham, thinly sliced
- fried egg, optional
How to Make French Onion Soup with Grilled Ham & Cheese Sandwich- French Style
- 1SOUP: In a heavy large pot heat 3T of veg oil and add the onions. Caramelize the onions for about 20 minutes with. Don't forget to stir in the 20 minutes. When the onions are caramelize add the beef stock, bay leaf, garlic, dried thyme and bring to boil for another 20 minutes. While it comes to a boil get your bowls ready and the broiler ready. Make sure that the bowls you use are clay or even metal. NEVER USE PLASTIC!! Place the bowls on a heavy duty baking sheet lined with foil. Turn on your broiler, over 500 degrees. When the soup comes to a boil. Stir and add black pepper and salt to taste.
Ladle into the prepared bowls.
Heat a frying pan big enough to hold all the slices on french bread. Add the one buttered side to the hot pan. Toast till lightly brown & place on the soup in the bowls, toast side up. Add the cheese as much as you want. Repeat till all the bowls of soup are done. Place in broiler for about 5 minutes till cheese it melted. Bring out, carefully to not to spill. Let sit for another 5 min. Ready to serve. Enjoy!!
- 2SANDWICH: Place both slices, buttered side down, on a heated frying pan. Layer each side with your choice of cheese and place 4 slices of ham on both sides. Heat for about a minute, then fold over to make the sandwich.
Place on a small baking sheet, spread Aioli over the top and add the fried egg (opt) with more cheese. Place in broiler for about 5 min, till cheese in melted. Serve. Enjoy.
2 egg yolks
2 T dijon mustard
salt & pepper
extra virgin olive oil, about 1/2 C - 3/4 C
Add all the ingredients to a steal bowl, except the oil. Whisk till frothy. The easiest way to whisk so the bowl does not move is to wet a dish towel and twist and make into a circle. Place the bowl in the middle of the circle and press down. The bowl should not move.
With the oil in one hand and the whisk in another, drizzle oil into bowl and whisk at the same time to make the sauce thicken.
This is a basic recipe for mayonnaise. At this point you can add anything.... wasabi, hot mustard, herbs, roasted onions, roasted garlic, horse radish, gherkins....... the list is endless.