Easy Crusty French Bread
How to Make Easy Crusty French Bread
- proof the yeast by adding 1/4 cup water with 1 pkg of yeast and 1 tsp of sugar
- In stand up mixer add, 2 1/2 cups flour, sugar, and salt.
- Using paddle attachment stir till mixed.
- Add yeast (yeast should have a layer of foam to ensure that it's active)
- Mix in mixer with paddle attachment for 5 -7 minutes. Gradually add more flour until consistency resembles something like slime, or flarp... It will be wet, but if you stop the mixer and lift the attachment the dough should pull off of it fairly easily.
- pour dough into a greased bowl and set to rise in a warm area till doubled
- Preheat oven to 350 * Turn dough out on floured surface and add a little more flour if necessary. Shape into baguettes and place on a baking sheet. Score the tops with a sharp knife.
- Mix together 1 tsp of water with 1 tsp of vinegar and brush over top of dough. Bake for 10 minutes and brush again with the water/vinegar mixture. Continue baking until tops are golden and bread sounds hollow when you tap or thump it. Take out and Enjoy!