"Boiled Water" soup (French)
It has a tanginess that is surprisingly delightful
- 4 c
- 1 tsp
- salt (if desired)
- 12 clove
- garlic,peeled and lightly mashed (yes 12 cloves)
- bay leaves
- 1 sprig(s)
- sage or 1/4 tsp of dried
- 1/4 c
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slice
- french peasent bread,(recipe is posted on this site) day old,or day old store bought french bread
- 1 1/2 c
- parmigiano-reggiano,freshly grated or gruyere cheese freshly grated
How to Make "Boiled Water" soup (French)
- 1Pour water into a medium (3qt) saucepan,add salt and garlic.Place over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil.Cook for 10 minutes.
- 2Add bay leaves,sage and a tablespoon of the olive oil ,and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- 3Remove from from heat,cover and let stand for 10 minutes.Strain.Discard garlic buds and herbs.Place a slice of dayold (stale) breadin each heated bowl,cover with large helping of cheese.Sprinkle with remaining olive oil
- 4Pour the strained broth over bread and cheese.
- 5Serve and watch the pleasently surprised faces of your guests. This is an excellent first course for a heavy meal to follow