"Boiled Water" soup (French)
It has a tanginess that is surprisingly delightful
1 tspsalt (if desired)
12 clovegarlic,peeled and lightly mashed (yes 12 cloves)
1 sprig(s)sage or 1/4 tsp of dried
1/4 cextra virgin olive oil
4 slicefrench peasent bread,(recipe is posted on this site) day old,or day old store bought french bread
1 1/2 cparmigiano-reggiano,freshly grated or gruyere cheese freshly grated
How to Make "Boiled Water" soup (French)
- Pour water into a medium (3qt) saucepan,add salt and garlic.Place over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil.Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add bay leaves,sage and a tablespoon of the olive oil ,and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from from heat,cover and let stand for 10 minutes.Strain.Discard garlic buds and herbs.Place a slice of dayold (stale) breadin each heated bowl,cover with large helping of cheese.Sprinkle with remaining olive oil
- Pour the strained broth over bread and cheese.
- Serve and watch the pleasently surprised faces of your guests. This is an excellent first course for a heavy meal to follow