Surimi Crab Cakes
- 1/4 c
- egg substitute
- 1/2 c
- light mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp
- minced, fresh garlic
- 1/4 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes [or more, to suit your taste]
- 2-3 tsp
- worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 c
- finely diced red or yellow or green bell pepper
- 1 stick
- celery, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp
- minced onion or shallot
- 1 pinch
- ea: dry basil; dry thyme; dry oregano
- 2 tsp
- dijon mustard (or more, to suit your taste)
- pieces cooked turkey bacon, finely diced or crumbled
- 3/4 c
- plain bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 lb
- imitation crabmeat
- splash of milk, if necessary, to thin
How to Make Surimi Crab Cakes
- 1In a large bowl, mix together the egg substitute, mayo, garlic, pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, s & p, bell pepper, celery, onion, seasonings, Dijon mustard, and bacon.
- 2While this mixture is still fluid and easily stir-able, add the bread crumbs.
Cut the crab into large chunks. Using your hands, gently fold in the lump surimi crab, taking care not to break up the large lumps of crab.
- 3If the bread crumbs absorb the liquid too quickly and it becomes too difficult to work in the crab, you can add a splash of milk, if necessary, up to about 3 T.
- 4Spray a baking pan with PAM; set aside.
- 5Spray your hands with PAM, and dip fingertips into a water bowl, to make forming of the crab cakes easier, with out sticking to your hands.
Form the crab cake mixture into 8 evenly-sized crab cakes, making sure to compact the mixture together well, for frying.
- 6At this point, you can cover with waxed paper on a baking sheet and refrigerate, until you are ready to fry the crab cakes. I kept mine in the fridge for almost an hour, and they set up very nicely!
- 7Heat a large skillet over Med. heat, and add 2 T. butter and 2 T. oil to hot skillet and let them melt together and coat the bottom of the pan. Gently set the crab cakes into the hot oil, and allow them to brown gently only on one side, approximately 4 - 5 mins. Don't over brown them! Don't flip them in the pan.
When they are golden brown on one side, transfer them gently to the lightly greased cookie sheet, flipping them so the golden brown side is facing UP.
- 8Bake at 450° for approximately 5 - 7 minutes. They will be bubbly and sizzling. Don't over cook or dry them out!