Super Crispy Fish and Chips
Cathy Evans Mauricio
- 2 pounds of boneless skinned cod fillets
- canola oil or peanut oil for deep frying
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. rice flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 1/4 c. cold soda water or beer
- 1 c. plain mayonnaise
- 2 t. chopped capers
- 2 t. sweet pickle relish
- 1 t. honey
- 1 t. worcestershire sauce
- 1 t. chopped lime zest
- juice of 1/2 lime
- pinch black pepper
FOR THE FISH BATTER
FOR THE LIME AND CAPER TARTER SAUCE
How to Make Super Crispy Fish and Chips
- 1To prepare the fish batter:
Combine dry ingredients.
- 2Add the egg and soda water & whisk together just until the liquid is incorporated. Small lumps in the batter are not a problem.
- 3Cut the fish into about 8 pieces. Season the fish with salt & pepper on both sides.
- 4Dredge the fish pieces in additional rice flour to help the batter stick to the fillets. Dip the pieces into the batter & carefully drop them into deep fryer filled with oil & preheated to 375* F.
- 5Fry a few minutes, about 5 is fine depending on the thickness of the fillets; just until golden brown on both sides. Drain on a wire rack placed over a cookie sheet. Serve immediately.
- 6If you have to fry the fish in more than one batch at a time, hold the fish in a 200* F oven on the draining rack to provide air circulation all the way around the fried fish pieces to prevent from getting soggy.
- 7LIME & CAPER TARTER SAUCE
Stir ingredients together until blended well.
Let sit in fridge for an hour or more to let the flavor meld before serving with the fish.