11. Drain the salmon and pick out round backbones and larger pieces of skin if you don't use the boneless/skinless type.
2. Put salmon in a large bowl and add eggs, onion, cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs and salt and pepper.
3. Mix together until well blended and form into patties. I usually get 8 or 9 out of 2 cans of salmon.
4. Pour oil into skillet and heat on medium-high heat. I always use my cast iron skillet, but you can also use a non-stick skillet.
5. Place patties in pan and fry about 3-5 minutes on each side, until well browned and crisp.
6. Drain on paper towel lined plate for a few minutes before serving.
7. Serve with ketchup or tartar sauce. (My son used to smother his with ketchup and my husband used to ask him if he wanted a little bit of salmon patties with his ketchup).