Southern Essentials: Oven-Baked Catfish
Andy Anderson !
With this recipe, I believe that I have accomplished that goal. The ingredients are simple, and the taste is awesome.
So, you ready… Let’s get into the kitchen.
- 1 c
- cornmeal, yellow variety
- 1 Tbsp
- creole seasoning, i prefer tony chachere’s
- 1 tsp
- paprika, sweet or hot (your choice)
- 1/2 tsp
- white pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 c
- fresh buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp
- hot sauce, i prefer frank’s hot sauce
- 1 lb
- catfish fillets, washed and patted dry, 4 filets
How to Make Southern Essentials: Oven-Baked Catfish
- 12Chef’s Note: I tried several ways to make the wet ingredients for this recipe. I tried eggs; however, I didn’t like the taste of the eggs with the coating, and they made the fish feel mushy. I tried using regular and non-fat milk, but neither of them gave me the taste I was searching for. I finally settled on that old Southern favorite buttermilk… that and a bit of hot sauce did the trick.
- 17Chef's Essentials: If you don’t have a wire rack that you can use in baking, I highly recommend that you purchase one. They are so useful. For example, if you don’t use a wire rack in this recipe, you should go in halfway through baking and flip the fish. In my opinion, this is an essential tool that all chefs should have in their kitchens.