Don't forget that rough fish, especially carp, suckers, and freshwater drum are among the best of all smoked fish.
Also freezes well.
Reprinted with permission,
- fleeced carp, filleted, leaving skin on
- 1 1/2 pt
- salt to 1 gallon of water
- lemon pepper
- liquid smoke flavoring
How to Make Smoked Carp
- 1Add salt to water to make a brine (mixture will float an egg when proper consistnecy is reached).
Soak fillets in brine for 3 hours.
Freshen in clear water and dry with paper toweling.
- 2Let air dry to form pellicle.
Use indirect method by placing 12 burning briquets of charcoal on each side, but not directly under the fish.
Place fillets, skin side down on grill over a drip pan.
- 3Brush fillets liberally with liquid smoke.
Apply lemon pepper and Accent to taste.
Cook one hour and 20 to 30 minutes.
Allow coals to burn out and carp to cool on grill.
May be eaten hot or cold, for a suprising tasty treat.